Women’s Center of Acahualinca
Serving women & their families since 1992
The Women’s Center provides critical services to an impoverished neighborhood in Managua where emotional, physical and sexual violence are tragically very common.
Acahault Women’s Clinic is complete with a laboratory for medical testing, a pharmacy, an ultrasound machine, and a space for self-help groups and workshops.
Other community services assist women and their families in Acahualinca:
- Demonstrating the staff’s ability to adapt to urgent needs, a domestic violence shelter for women and their families opened in 2013.
- The “Sunflower” program reaches out to sex workers desperate to meet their basic needs and send their children to school.
- Acahault Beauty School offers women a dignified trade that will support them and their children.
- A community preschool serves over 100 children of the city dump workers.
- A community library supports primary and secondary students, as well as adults completing their high school level education.
The team of women in Acahualinca are fierce advocates for health, education, and human rights in their community and are part of a national task force on human trafficking of women and girls.
What You Can Do
Nicaragua has the second highest cervical cancer mortality rates in Latin America. To combat this epidemic, Acahaulinca launched a cervical cancer campaign providing early detection by a pap smear and medical service. ProNica also supports a tubal ligation program for women 25 years of age with two children so their children are better cared for and able to attend school. The staff of Acahault relies on ProNica’s funding to continue the only women’s center in Acahualinca.