Location: Managua, Nicaragua
Opening Date: October 15, 2015
Closing Date: Until filled
ProNica is a Quaker-founded nongovernmental organization that nurtures cross-cultural solidarity by partnering with community-initiated projects and facilitating educational exchanges. The work is rooted in the Quaker values of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality, and stewardship of the earth.
Program Director Responsibilities
- Oversees all components of ProNica’s operations in Nicaragua within a long-range strategy to achieve the dual missions of grassroots partner accompaniment and educating North Americans about Nicaragua.
- Reports directly to the Executive Director in St. Petersburg, Florida, United States, and works in partnership with the Consejo in Nicaragua, the Board of Directors in the US and the Managua Quaker Worship Group.
- Builds meaningful solidarity-based relationships with project partners
- Supervises and collaborates with local staff of 4
- Coordinates international programs including delegations, witness tours and volunteers
- Manages Casa Cuáquera guest reservations and services
- Helps raise awareness and funds by giving presentations, writing and gathering content related to ProNica’s partners and educational programs
- Analyzes changing organizational needs and participates in making adjustments to policies and procedures.
- Stays abreast of Nicaragua’s political climate, culture, history and current events.
- Coordinates the maintenance and safety of the properties, vehicle and equipment.
- Participates in administrative tasks
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience with nonprofit or delegation work
- Bachelor degree in international studies, social work, or relevant field. Master degree preferred
- Ability to work a highly flexible schedule with regular travel outside of Managua and occasional travel to the United States
- Fluency in English and Spanish with the ability to interpret and translate
- Willingness to conduct work within the framework of Quaker Process
- Ability to drive a 4-wheel-drive, standard transmission vehicle in Nicaragua and has a US or Nicaragua driver license
- Strong computer, written, communication, organizational and presentation skills
- Compatibility with Quaker values that define the work of ProNica, including commitment to non-violence, equality, peace, social justice and the belief in the intrinsic worth of every individual
- Commitment of 3 years minimum preferred
Compensation and Benefits
- Monthly salary of $600 to $800 per month and performance bonus
- Lives in ProNica’s two-bedroom residence in Las Brisas neighborhood of Managua (includes paid utilities, internet, housekeeping & maintenance)
- Comp time equal half day off per full day spent guiding delegations
- Use of ProNica vehicle (fuel provided for work-related travel only)
- Vacation, holidays and bonus in accordance with Nicaraguan labor code
How to Apply
Interested candidates will be available to commence work in December or shortly thereafter.
ProNica was founded in 1986 under the auspices of the Southeastern Yearly Meeting (SEYM) of the Religious Society of Friends, commonly known as Quakers.
ProNica is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, ideology or age. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply.